Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Children Of Carts

MyNote:
AntiNationalist's Thought
Children Widening The social class gap.

When I was back home last Christmas, I visited the fruit and vegetable market in Mowalih. It was crowded with buyers and sellers, all kind of fruits and vegetables were fresh and sold in low prices comparing to where I am now. It's a very active and busy market, very vital to many. What was shocking to me when I was there, was when I noticed that there were more children doing hard labors. I saw children lifting heavy bags and boxes of fruits and vegetables on their carts, they wore dirty old clothes, and didn't really have any basic safety to wear, nor a good pair of shoes. I really felt ashamed of how I looked like and what I wore at that moment, I wished I were them so they became me. They might have done these jobs to pay their livings. Doing hard labors becoming more important than education for survival is what their parents believe in. This is not just happening in my society, in fact it's happening everywhere nowadays, if children can't have education because they have to pay their parents bills, then who will build our nations in the future? Are we witnessing a social class gap that no one can fill except more thieves and criminals trying to tightening it? I can go into details but few words are enough to echo and shake a mountain of blind thoughts.

Good night dear readers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A six year old, in grade One, came to us with a tissue, a single tissue, wanting to sell it for 100 Baisa. At 10 PM on a Friday.

He acted so poor, he had no shoes on, and started whining: please buy it, please. When we asked where his parents were, he said they were at home.

They dropped him off, with his friends, at night, on a Friday, to beg.

I wonder what his teacher would do when she finds him sleeping in the middle of thelesson. That's if he does attend class.