Tuesday, May 06, 2008

One Cent Missing


AntiNationalist's Thought:
One Cent Missing

Today at work, an old white unshaved western man with a tiring face bought something, I told him it was four dollars and one cent, he gave me four dollars and two cents, I told him one cent was over, he said "Yeah you forgot last week I told you I was short one cent and forgot to give it to you". I was speechless and amazed at how honest and credible some people could be, I said to him "Well for your loyalty and honesty, I gave it back to you". I've seen Arabs and Muslims men throwing away cents, dimes and nickels in trash saying it's not much. I've met some who owed me hundreds of dollars not a cent, and still denied to pay back. In the darkest and most disordered working-class societies, you see drunken drugs addicted homeless people and prostitutes, thieves, and more. However you still sometime see inside them a sense of kindness and mercifulness, which amazes me the most because of how contradicting it is. I think the sense of mercifulness is what many of our Arab and Muslim societies miss and lack, and don't understand and realize it, even though they say it unrealizing the meaning of it everyday in their prayers: "Bismillahi al r-rahmani al r-rahim" "In the name of Allah, the most gracious, the most merciful".

Good night dear readers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa

honestly loved this blog entry and the story was so much beyond the one cent

thanks for sharing..

sweetness said...

Arabs are greedy people ever.
Every one is eating the flesh of others.
Well,your fingers aren't the same .. but its mostly correct !

Castelluca said...

my aunt wrote a scene in drama class once. about a man who's known for being the kindest, merciful man anyone has ever known. little did they know, the man was battling an alcohol addiction.

the whole point of the scene was: does being an alcoholic make you a bad person? would you deny the kindness and mercy of that person after known he's an alcoholic?

..i liked that scene, and i liked your story. =)

Postoevsky said...

No matter how many times I tell myself that people will surprise me, I still never can tell who are the goodies and who are the baddies from first glance.
It's not just because I'm a REALLY bad judge of character (awfully bad)... but you just never know who's going to surprise you with their kindness and integrity.